Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Wedding Wednesdays: From Ms. to Mrs.

One semi-challenging task after tying the knot is changing your last name (if you choose to). This is something that isn't really done automatically. Critical thinking is involved when you go from Ms. to Mrs. because your new name needs to be changed on just about everything. Here are the best steps to get you there!

1. Get your marriage license
Before you can change your name, you'll need the original (or certified) marriage license with the raised seal and of course your new last name on it. Call the clerk's office where your license was filed to get copies if one wasn't automatically sent to you.

2. Change your Social Security card
Visit the Social Security Administration's website and fill out the application for a new Social Security card. You'll keep the same number but you'll need to update your name. Mail in your application to the local Social Security Administration office. You should get your new card within 10 business days (hopefully!).

3. Change your license at the DMV
This is the unfortunate part. Take a trip to the local Department of Motor Vehicles office to get a new license with your new last name. Bring every form of identification you can get your hands on; your old license, your certified marriage license and most importantly, your new Social Security card (whenever that arrives). Make sure you have enough dedicated time to spend at the DMV because we all know it takes a long time to get through that line!

4. Change your bank accounts
This one's a biggie, especially if you're setting up a joint bank account, or if you have one already set up. The fastest way to change your name at your bank is to go into a branch location. You'll need to bring your new driver's license and your marriage license. You should request new checks and debit and credit cards on top of changing the name attached to your accounts. Make sure to do this as soon as you can so that you can have access to your money.

5. Fill in the blanks - What else is left to change?
Once you have a social security card and driver's license in your married name, other changes should be fairly easy. Some places only require a phone call; others may ask for a copy of your marriage certificate or social security card. Be sure to notify:
  • Employers/payroll
  • Post office
  • Electric and other utility companies
  • Credit card companies
  • Schools and alumni associations
  • Landlord or mortgage company
  • Insurance companies (auto, home, life)
  • Doctors' offices
  • Voter registration office
  • Investment account providers
  • Your attorney (to update legal documents, including your will)
  • Passport office

6. Do it the easy way
There is an easier way to officially change your name. Go to Hitchswitch Name Change through The Knot and choose your option. It costs $25-$50, but it's worth it since all you actually have to do is fill out one single form that will basically update your whole life. Even though this is convenient, I would still double-check on everything that needs to be changed.

Now that you've got all of this knowledge, you can devour the details of going from Ms. to Mrs. with ease! Enjoy showing off your new last name!

No comments:

Post a Comment