Cinco de Mayo is on a Friday this year and we can't wait to enjoy a weekend-long celebration. But we're not just in it for the fiestas or cervezas. We love this holiday for the food and most importantly, the dessert! Churros and dulce de leche are two Spanish sweet treats that might come to mind. The dessert we're bringing you today is a new spin on these old classics, compliments of Lauren Conrad, that will definitely have you coming back for more: Churro Double Decker Dessert Tacos!
½ cup Nutella
½ can of dulce de leche
3 cups canola oil
gold sprinkles or sprinkle of choice
5-inch circle cookie cutter
For the pie dough, refer to LC's favorite Martha Stewart recipe.
For the cookie dough:
1 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup brown sugar
¼ cup sugar
3 tablespoons whole milk
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 ½ cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1. Whip up pie dough, following the recipe from Martha Stewart.
2. Make the cookie dough while the pie dough chills.
3. In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and both sugars until light and creamy (about 3 minutes). Add in the milk and vanilla and beat just until mixed. While the mixer is on low speed, slowly add in the flour and salt and mix until everything is combined. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and set aside until ready to use.
4. In a large pan, heat the canola oil until it reaches 350 degrees.
5. While your oil is heating, take the pie dough out of the refrigerator and roll out until 1/8-inch thick. Cut out 5-inch circles and place them onto a piece of wax or parchment paper.
6. Working with one piece at a time, fold each circle in half and drop them into the preheated oil. Fry for about 3-5 minutes on each side, or until nice and golden brown. Place each fried taco upside down onto a layer of paper towels.
1. Gently smear a tablespoon worth of Nutella onto the insides of each taco shell. Fill each taco with about 2 tablespoons of raw cookie dough. Continue until all tacos are filled.
2. Heat the dulce de leche over a double broiler or in the microwave. Scoop into a piping bag and drizzle lightly over each taco. Sprinkle the tops with your sprinkles of choice!
Our only other recommendation? Washing these decadent tacos down with a nice cold margarita! Cheers to you Cinco de Mayo and these devour-the-detail-worthy desserts!